Car Ownership

Most Islanders travel by car. If you have a valid foreign driver’s license, you can use it in PEI for 120 days. You should contact Access PEI soon after arriving on PEI to exchange your drivers license or take a driving test. If you own a vehicle, you must register the vehicle at Access PEI. To register a vehicle, you must be a resident of PEI, have a bill of sale, have proof of a motor vehicle inspection, and have proof that you purchased vehicle insurance. Vehicle insurance can be purchased from one of PEI’s many insurance providers. A motor vehicle inspection can be conducted at most Island automobile service centers. For more information, contact your local Access PEI office.